I don’t know about you, but I was ALWAYS hungry while nursing my children! Breast/Chest feeding uses 425 to 700 calories per day. According to the American Pregnancy Association you should increase your caloric intake, while nursing, by 500 healthy calories. These snacks should be low in sugar and high in protein to keep you full longer.
I know that while wrangling tiny humans you don’t always have time to make yourself a hearty meal every time you are hungry. That’s why I have created a no heat snack list! These snacks can be made quickly and taken on the go for a healthy snack to keep your energy up and your body thriving.
- Fruits like apples, bananas, berries, etc.
- Hummus with toast, crackers, celery, or carrots
- Dip, like ranch, with bell peppers or broccoli
- Granola or fiber bars
- Trail mix
- Fruit squeeze packets
- Fruit smoothies using green tea, juice, or milk base
- Deli meat and cheese sandwich on your favorite bread
- Dried fruit
- Fruit leather rolls
- Fruit chewy snacks
- Avocado toast, add tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, radishes, or eggs
- Cheese sticks
- Apple with a nut/seed butter
- Canned tuna or chicken sandwich, mix with light mayo, mustard, or avocado
- Salsa, guacamole, or cheese dip with tortilla chips
- A platter with salami, cheese, olives and crackers
- Yogurt with granola and fruit
- Handful of nuts, like walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc.
- Oatmeal with fruit, honey, or maple syrup
- Toast with cream cheese and fruit
- Chex mix
- Seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, etc.
- Brie with fruit and crackers
- Spinach artichoke dip with crackers or pita chips
- Dark chocolate and fruit
- Bagels and cream cheese
- Pinwheels with deli meat, hummus, ranch, veggies, or cheese
- Hard boiled eggs (not heatless, but many can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for easy snacking)
Quick note: Be sure you are also drinking plenty of water. Keeping a bottle of water with you, or several stashed around where you might end up nursing, will help quench the sudden thirsty feeling while nursing your baby.