Thank you for considering New Beginnings Doula Training for your doula certification process. We uphold the highest standards for our students and hope you will find that our course will help you grow and develop your skills as a doula and childbirth professional.
This course was designed to be completed over a period of 9-12 months. However, the courses are self-paced, and may be completed in as much or as little time as needed. This typically takes between 150-200 total hours.
- Read through the coursework given you.
- Finish all readings as they are assigned.
- Complete all assignments and submit online.
- Support at least two(2) clients for whom you provide full care. This includes a prenatal interview, a meeting with their care provider, and a postpartum interview. This care may be provided in-person or remotely via online meetings.
- For each birth, write up a care plan with the form provided to include in your final birth packet. The care plan should follow the theories of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and the Nursing Process. You should also make sure each of your clients signs a confidentiality-release-form.
- Support at least two(2) births. After the births, it is recommended that you discuss with the nurse or other care providers what they did and did not like about your role in the birth. A debriefing survey will be provided for you to complete as a part of the birth packet. If you cannot discuss your involvement with a nurse or other care provider, you may complete the survey for yourself.
There are two required books to complete the birth doula training program. These books are not included in the cost of registration and must be purchased separately. However, upon registration, we do send you links to be able to purchase the books directly from the publisher at a discounted price. Alternately, you may also purchase the books from links provided on our doula books overview page.
In addition to the required readings, we also offer a collection of other recommended books that are good to broaden your scope of understanding as a doula. This will provide you with additional knowledge of popular birthing practices and techniques. View the full list on our doula books overview page.