The content for New Beginnings Doula Training’s birth doula certification program splits into three (3) courses of study, along with a birth packet for two (2) births that is submitted at the end of training.
The doula foundations, or “main course”, presents the heart of New Beginnings’ approach to doula care. It breaks down into five (5) main units, and addresses the following topics in detail:
- Introduction to doulas and labor support
- Communicating with the medical world
- Introduction to the nursing process, needs assessment, and initial client interview
- Needs identification for doulas and introduction into Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- Anxiety and stress response
The childbirth course addresses the different phases of the birthing process and prepares the doula-in-training to be well informed about the natural birthing process. It breaks down into three (3) units and covers the the following topics:
- Whole body health during pregnancy
- Normal Physiological Labor
- Common medical interventions and how to help when they are needed
The doula actions course (doula skills) discusses different activities that a doula can perform for their client, including: Acupressure, Aromatherapy, Birth Affirmations, Breathing, Environment, Mindfulness, Movement, Music, Positioning, Spirituality, Visualization, and more.
At the end of the course, each student is required to submit a birth packet. This birth packet contains information that the student records about the births that they have attended as a part of their training. (Think of this as the final exam before receiving your certification.)
Access to supplemental materials such as webinars and white papers are included in the cost of registration for all active students and alumni. Some materials may be required to complete the training, while others are for vocational enrichment only.