Scholarships Overview for Doula Certification
New Beginnings Doula Training offers merit-based scholarships. The scholarship process allows access to our birth doula certification for those who demonstrate a good work ethic, but who are of lower financial means. Scholarship candidates are asked to complete two (2) written assignments and purchase the doula foundations course ($20 USD). (see “Scholarship Requirements” below) Scholarships are awarded on a monthly basis and are limited to four (4) per month. Recipients are considered on a first come, first serve basis.
Scholarship Award Options
Scholarship recipients will be granted a discount on course registration of up to 50% off of full course registration prices and are detailed as follows:
- Option 1: Full course access for $200 USD/one-time.
- Option 2: $18 USD/ 12 months, automatic payments, incremental course access.
- Option 3: $20 USD/ 12 months, manual payments, incremental course access.
To apply for the scholarship, candidates must complete the following three (3) steps as follows:
- Purchase the Doula Foundations Course: Go to our doula shop website and purchase the Doula Foundations Course / Starter Kit for $20 USD. This gives you full access to the Doula Foundations course of our training program.
- Research-based Blog Post: Complete a research-based blog post on a birth-related topic from the list below. Please treat this like a report to be submitted for a college-level class report. You are expected to access valid source materials and to properly cite sources used. Please cite at least two (2) sources in your post.
- Community Outreach Activity: The purpose of this activity to create connections and foster good-will with birth-related professionals in the community where you reside. You will need to interview two (2) health care providers involved in women’s health. These questions must be addressed:
- What experiences have you had with doulas? If negative, please describe what made them negative for you.
- What value do you feel doulas have? If the health care provider has no experience working with doulas, be prepared to discuss the role of a doula with them.
- In what ways could doulas and medical professionals work better together to serve a birthing woman?
After completing your meeting, provide us with a write-up with details of the meeting and what you’ve learned. As a part of this write-up, please describe one project you could do that would help facilitate communication between medical professionals and doulas.
Please submit both requirements via email at the same time to office(at)trainingdoulas[dot]com . The subject line should read: “SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSION – [full name of candidate]”. Please also include with your submission your full name, phone number, and mailing address.
After Scholarship Submission
Please allow 3 – 5 business days for a reply to your scholarship submission. You will receive a receipt confirmation via email that your application has been received. If your application has been accepted you will be notified with a discount code to complete your registration or a waiting list notification of when you can expect to begin your training. If your scholarship is deemed incomplete, you will be asked to rework and resubmit it.
Topics for Research
Please choose a topic from the list below and research how this applies to birth and the birthing process.
- Deep Breathing
- Progressive Relaxation
(last updated: January 2016)