Certification Requirements and Process
Thank you for considering New Beginnings Doula Training for your doula certification process. We uphold the highest standards for our students and hope you will find that our course will help you grow and develop your skills as a doula and childbirth professional.
This course was designed to be completed over a period of 9 months. However, you have two years to fulfill all requirements for certification.
- Read through the coursework given you.
- Finish all assignments and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finish all readings as they are assigned.
- You will need to attend as many births as you need to complete the skills checklist. These will need to be initialed by anyone who was at the birth with you. There is no time limit for the births as long as you fulfill the skills required.
- After the birth, discuss with the nurse what they did and did not like about your role in the birth. A debriefing form will be provided for you, which will then need to be e-mailed to your instructor.
- For each birth, write up a care plan on the form which will be provided for you. This form must be filled out and initialed by the care provider. It should follow the theories of Maslow’s Heirarchy of Needs and the Nursing Process.
- Attend at least two clients that you provide full care for. This includes a pre-natal interview, a meeting with their care provider, and a postpartum interview. You can also check off skills with these births.
These books can be read at any time, but will be referenced at certain times in the course.
- The Nurturing Touch at Birth by Paulina Perez
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
- Homebirth in the Hospital by Stacey Marie Kerr
These books are recommended in order to gain an understanding of different childbirth philosophies, but they are not required.
- Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan
- Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradely
- The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth With Confidence by Judith Lothian